Thursday, October 8, 2009

You really aren't friends until you're facebook friends.

As a lot of people know, I have a love hate relationship with social networking. I love the fact that I can find old contacts from high school or elesewhere and catch up with them. It's a great way to connect and stay in touch. Let's face it, it's an easy way to keep up with people that you would never want to pick up the phone and talk to.

However, my list of negative things out numbers the list of positives.

People now have this feeling of entitlement. People think they are important now. Oh I'm at a predators game and I'm going to update my twitterspacebook about how I'm at the game drinking a $2 beer and everyone is going to hit the like button and comment about how they think that's awesome.

I'm sitting on my lazy fat ass at home watching a movie and everyone cares about it. I'm having promiscuous sex with random people and everyone cares. I'm eating freaking cereal with old milk and everyone cares.

Wow, I'm so awesome because I have 1207 people who are my friends on the internet, 95% of whom I haven't spoken to or seen in years because they bullied me in high school or made my life hell in one way or another.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think that life was easier even 5 years ago when everyone around you didn't have access to every single moment of your life and you could pick up the phone and call them. Now everyone is too busy updating their twitterfacespace status to get attention and the word out to everyone that they are or are not ok.

I have given into texting--yes. However, do I want to have a FULL conversation with anyone via text? The answer is no. If something important is going on in your life or someone important to you, don't let me hear about it through text or your status on a social networking site. Call me, hell even email me a personal message, if you have good news and bad news. I want to hear it...... I want to be able to react in a personable way instead of hitting a like button or commenting that I don't like it.

10 years ago you didn't have all of the convenience that you do now. Yes, texting and facetwitspacing is convenient, but are you building those lasting friendships that you would have 10 years ago? Are we coming upon an age where we don't need friends? Do we just need a lot of "yes" people in our lives to hit a like button?

2 comments:

  1. i agree. it's getting ridiculous. People don't have time for real friends bc they are facebooking. My facebook hasn't been working lately and I don't miss it amazingly. I did like looking at people's pictures, but then I feel a bit stalkish. sigh. ha ha facetwitspacing. you make me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how we have all this technology available to make it easier than ever to connect with other people, but somehow we become more and more disconnected.

    ReplyDelete