Monday, January 18, 2010

senility

After Christmas my grandma asked when we were going to visit Herbie's parents. You know, because the holidays are sooo important to them.

I told her we had plans for NYE in Atlanta.

Then there was this long awkward pause.

She says, "Now his parents don't believe in celebrating Christmas do they? They have their own day to celebrate.... or wait, is it Catholics or Jews that have Chanukah?"

Me: "Grandmother...no, they don't celebrate Christmas and yes it is the JEWS that celebrate Chanukah. That's what his parents do...but it's 8 days and not a big deal."

Her response: "That's so weird..."

I can't wait until we have a big fat Jewish wedding. Maybe I need to make a documentary about it. My family, not only my grandma, will shit when we drink wine at the alter and dance to a real live band at the reception.

I can't wait for that day and I also can't wait until I'm old and senile and can call people "weird" for their religious customs and think it's totally ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment