Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Unprofessionalism

Today I met one of the most unprofessional people I've ever come in contact with, in the advertising business, and my friends, that's saying something right there.

It all starts when I get an IM from one of our front desk ladies telling me some girl I know is up front and would like to see me- Some girl by the name of Icolenay Attisonmay*. I immediately started filing through my brain to see if I knew a Nicole by that name. She says she's my friend. I don't know anyone by that name though, but I give her the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe it's someone from college that has gotten married. Our front desk tells me that she says we know the same people and she's from Cumulus media. So I think, "GREAT, a rep that has made a sudden stop to ambush me with her media package and try to sell me shit I don't want because I totally have time for that!" Sorry, but I knew it wasn't anyone from my intern days at Cumulus since I was always at remotes in front of grocery stores in Smyrna.

I dreadfully walk up front and have a girl run toward me screaming "Oh my gosh, Tiffany, it's so nice to meet you!" She drops a name of someone from Cumulus Media here in Nashville and says this person, Ephaniestay Enfroray*, said she knew me and knew I worked at cj. (as a side note, I have a freakish memory of faces and names. I'm REALLY good at that. It's my strong point.) I tell her I don't know anyone by that name, but she insists that if I saw her, I would totally know her. I nicely just nod my head and continue to listen. She found a listing on our website for a Media Buyer and has had X amount of years in media experience and wanted to talk to me right then and there about herself and why she should work for the company I work at.

She hands me her resume and I politely tell her that our director is out for the day, but I would pass off her resume to her and our director of operations. She tries to go on and on, but I just kinda smile and tell her it was nice meeting her... and backed away before she tried to hug me, make me more uncomfortable, or whatever.

I think this was a really sad case of someone who has read too many sites about "How to land the job you want" and took the being agressive and go getter tips a little too seriously. It's great to be agressive. When I first interviewed with cj, I called all the time to see if they made a decision. I didn't get the job, but you know what, they remembered me in a GOOD way when that position came open again and gave me a call. Low and behold, I have that job almost 4 years later.

Also, if you are going to research people within a company and make an awkward attempt to ambush them, maybe you should stalk the right person. As much as I am flattered that Icolenay Attisonmay* thought I made hiring decisions, I don't, thank god. She missed the chance of talking to the right person, and due to her comitting a BIG NO NO, she is missing a chance at a job that might have been great for her (but not really because we don't hire psycho stalkers who job hops. Yes I read her resume.)

Oh and she lied about being my friend to get me to become unglued from my desk. I think that might have been the biggest offense of all. Don't say you know someone that you don't. cj doesn't hire liars, either.

*slight name changes to protect the guilty.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha. i can't believe someone did this! It might have worked on me cause you know I can't remember anyone's name! But she tried it on you who has the best memory ever. haha. The nerve.

    Also, I like your name coding. hahahahahaa

    ReplyDelete